Weight loss ticker.

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Dairy

I didn't realize until I was cooking for company the other night just how many dairy products I use. Into the baked ziti went a pound of ricotta, a half pound of mozzerella, and a few ounces of parmesan. In addition, the corn casserole had a half pound of sour cream. Oh, and the dip for the veggies also had sour cream.
Then the following evening I was cooking for a family from church, and I made my hubby's favorite "cheese potatoes". (A dish for them, and a dish for hubby.) Thankfully, I don't eat the cheese pototoes, but they are made with butter, milk and VELVEETA. How can a processed cheese that is shelf stable before opening be ANY good for a person? Sure, it tastes good, but most of that taste is salt.
Dairy in all that excess tastes wonderful, and company loves it, but it just packs on the pounds under the guise of being "healthy" because dairy is supposed to provide vitamin D. Well, I have to give myself a little pat on the back for recognizing this fact, and now that I'm aware of it I will be sure to watch it. I make my own homemade yogurt from skim milk, but I am going to try almond milk or rice milk the next time. I will let you know how it turns out.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Debb!

    Let me know how you like the almond or rice milk. I use soy milk everyday in my shakes. But I do like both the almond and rice. My brother loves hemp milk and got me to try it...didn't like it too well. I don't do dairy at all now. (thankfully it doesn't agree with me so it's easy to not eat any of it)

    If you are looking for a great cheese substitute try Diaya. I have only found it in cheddar and mozzarella shredded cheese. I don't think it comes in slices. It melts so well and tastes really good.

    Hope your doing well. I love the blog!
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete